[mou] Carlton/Aitkin County Birds

Doug Kieser Doug.Kieser@clynch.com
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 21:49:08 -0600

I birded Carlton and Aitkin Counties with Jim Otto today.  Many
highlights during the morning, then a very slow afternoon.
Carlton County:
Three Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches in front of the Fond du Lac Conservation
office (7:50 am).
Aitkin County:
Nine Sharp-tailed Grouse on the lek 0.4 miles south of Tamarack on
County Hwy 16 (8:30 - 8:45 am).
Evening Grosbeaks and Pine Siskins on Kestrel Ave.
Pine Grosbeaks and Common Redpolls on western and central areas of
Hedblom Forest Rd.
One American Three-toed Woodpecker (male) and 3 Black-backed Woodpeckers
(2 male, 1 female) - south side of Hedblom Forest Rd. (11:00 am - noon).
We started from the west gate, but from talking to others at this spot I
guess this around 2.2 miles west of the east gate.
Red Crossbills - Large pines near the Hedblom Rd. west gate (12:30 pm).
The birding really slowed down after this point.  We drove to the Rabey
tree farm, but did no birding due to some lumbering operations.
2 flocks of Snow Buntings were on County Hwy 10 south of 200.
2 Rough-legged Hawks and a large flock (50+) of Black-capped Chickadees
on County 18.

Doug Kieser
Minneapolis