[mou] Dakota County; observations; RFI

Pastor Al Schirmacher PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:54:08 -0600

Mark Junghans, Nathan Schirmacher and I enjoyed the Slaty-backed Gull &
Mountain Bluebird in Dakota County on Saturday - however, missed the
Gyrfalcon by 1/2 hour.

Noted a flock of 65 turkeys at lunch time today in Isanti County (corner of
CR 7 - also known as Feldspar - and 317th) - second largest flock that I've
encountered in 15 years in the upper Midwest.

Have also noted more Kestrels and Mourning Doves in central MN than previous
winters.  However, our supply of winter finches (save Purples & the Pine
Grosbeak flock on Mille Lacs 142) seems to have dried up since early
December.

RFI - if anyone runs into a Long-tailed Duck within a couple of hours of
central MN, please advise.  For some reason (not for lack of Duluth/North
Shore trips or checking appropriate winter rivers), Nathan & I are still
missing this bird from our state lists - sort of a strange omission
(especially with the dozens we've seen in Wisconsin).

Many thanks, and good birding to all.

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties