[mou] Gyrfalcon update-Dakota Co.

James Mattsson mattjim@earthlink.net
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:11:58 -0600

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

Seeing no reports of the gyr for a couple of days I stopped by between  4:30-5:10 P.M. today. Ken Flicek pointed out the bird perched on a power pole on 180th, only 500 ft. away! The bird eventually made a powered run at the mass of geese and ducks to the south, but as usual (I think this is perhaps the 15th such attempt by this bird that I've witnessed over the past 3 winters) it just flew like a rocket through the scattering ducks without success. It perched for 20 minutes on an irrigation system in the center of the section and then made another run at the flock - it flew just a few feet over all the geese and they seemed to pay it no attention. Once again it was unsuccessful. It then continued NE for almost a mile before landing on a large power pole.

I've posted to "Recently Seen" one of the images I obtained. Good birding and nice to see you again, Tom Auer.

http://moumn.org/cgi-bin/recent.pl

Jim
Eagan
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

<HTML style="FONT-SIZE: small; FONT-FAMILY: Times New Roman"><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1251">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.3020" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>
<DIV>Seeing no reports of the gyr for a couple of days I stopped by between&nbsp; 4:30-5:10 P.M. today. Ken Flicek pointed out the bird perched on a power pole on 180th, only 500 ft. away! The bird eventually made a powered run at the mass of geese and ducks to the south, but as usual (I think this is perhaps the 15th such attempt by this bird that I've witnessed over the past 3 winters) it just flew like a rocket through the scattering ducks without success. It perched for 20 minutes on an irrigation system in the center of the section and then made another run at the flock - it flew just a few feet over all the geese and they seemed to pay it no attention. Once again it was unsuccessful. It then continued NE for almost a mile before landing on a large power pole. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I've posted to "Recently Seen" one of the images I obtained. Good birding and nice to see you again, Tom Auer.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://moumn.org/cgi-bin/recent.pl">http://moumn.org/cgi-bin/recent.pl</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jim</DIV>