[mou] Gyrfalcon scores, Dakota Co.

James Mattsson mattjim@earthlink.net
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:53:04 -0600

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

>From 3:00-4:00 P.M. today I watched the gyrfalcon make two runs at field feeding ducks from its perch on the irrigation system that runs north-south SE of 180th and Donnelly. The second attempt was a charm as it banked and dived straight into the ground to nail a hen mallard. I don't know why it didn't kill itself in th process. During the past 3 winters, I believe this is the 17th time I've seen this gyr attempt a kill. This was the first time I saw it successfully make a kill. Well, I was impressed, to say the least. Within seconds of killing the duck, the mass of swirling ducks simple returned and landed all around the gyr while it devoured the hen, seemingly paying it no attention. Heck, they new they were safe...for the time being. It fed for almost one half hour and then obligingly flew right over me and landed in a nearby tree.  I've posted two images at the new MOU photo gallery web site. Go to the site and click on Gyrfalcon. Timing and a little luck never hurts.

http://moumn.org/gallery

Jim
Eagan
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

<HTML style="FONT-SIZE: small; FONT-FAMILY: Times New Roman"><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1251">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.3020" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>
<DIV>From 3:00-4:00 P.M. today I watched the gyrfalcon make two runs at field feeding ducks from its perch on the irrigation system that runs north-south SE of 180th and Donnelly. The&nbsp;second attempt was a charm as it banked and dived straight into the ground to nail a hen mallard. I don't know why it didn't kill itself in th process. During the past 3 winters, I believe this is the 17th time I've seen this gyr attempt a kill. This was the first time I saw it successfully make a kill. Well, I was impressed, to say the least. Within seconds of killing the duck, the mass of swirling ducks simple returned and landed all around the gyr while it devoured the hen, seemingly paying it no attention. Heck, they new they were safe...for the time being. It fed for almost one half hour and then obligingly flew right over me and landed in a nearby&nbsp;tree. &nbsp;I've posted two images at the new MOU photo gallery web site. Go to the site and click on Gyrfalcon. Timing and a little luck never hurts.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://moumn.org/gallery">http://moumn.org/gallery</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jim </DIV>