[mou] Clay Co. Varied Thrush relocated!

patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:46:20 -0600 (CST)

Hello all,

At 3:00 this afternoon, I relocated the Varied Thrush reported yesterday
by Ben Fritchman in the Oakport Township area of north Moorhead. I found
the thrush at 608 Wall Street. There is a mailbox there with "608" on it
and a wooden fence running to the north with a row of crabapples along the
west side of the fence. I spotted the thrush on the ground about halfway
along the row. It poked around on the ground for about 10-15 seconds and
then flew right up into one of the crabs where it was completely out of
sight. It stayed in the crab for about 5 minutes and then dropped back to
the ground for 10-15 seconds and then back up into the tree. It repeated
this for about 15 minutes then stayed up in the tree until I left at 3:30.

I believe this is an adult female as it has a gray breastband, gray head
markings, and is generally drab overall.

Thanks again to Ben for the original posting - nice find Ben!

Good Birding!

Pat

Patrick Beauzay
Department of Entomology