[mou] golden eagle count results

joan schnabel/jeff falk joanjeff@centurytel.net
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:26:46 -0600

Hi  here are the results from 2007 Golden eagle count.  On Count day
there were 41  sightings.  Count week brought the total  to 51 (2006
total 29)
  with 10 additional sightings  reliably felt to be different
birds.    State totals , Iowa 1,  MN 16, and WI 34.      Buffalo
County  WI had the most with 30 on count day and another 4 in count
week. Other county totals were  Alamakee, Iowa, 1, Fillmore, MN 3,
Houston, MN 6, Winona MN 7,    Wabasha and Trempealeau counties were
both 0.   47 people participated in the count  which is organized by
Scott  Mehus.  Carol Knabe got some wonderful photos of a 3-4 year
old Golden interacting with an Immature Bald.   Additional sightings
Bald Eagles, 223, Rough -legged Hawk 36, Red-tailed Hawk 223,
Northern Harrier 2, Sharp-shinnedHawk 4, Cooper's  Hawk 3, American
Kestrel 31,  eagles unidentified 6 (too far to call  or too brief in
view), raptors  unidentified 7.   also noted Northern Shrikes 7,
coyotes 3 (I know not a bird) large flocks of Red-winged Blackbirds,
Horned Larks  (noted my many observers to be more than last year).
SE MN also had 20 Yellow-rumped Warblers, 75 American Robins and 18
Eastern Bluebirds.  I do not have total hours or mileage covered
yet.  If you want that additional data, please back channel.

So put it on your calendars for next Jan. and come join us.    Thanks
to all  who have posted on golden eagles on the forums.  Your input
is appreciated.   We are getting the sense that these goldens are
returning to the same spots each year and have winter territories.
some questions that I have are:   are the numbers increasing,  if so
why?  are there any breeding pairs?  any breeding pairs on record? Is
there an active  Hawk Watch counting  south of Hawk Ridge, in the
western part of WI or eastern MN and what are their numbers?  (Hawk
Ridge counted 120 this year)  Whats the latest date that people are
seeing the goldens?

If any one wants to go looking,   let myself or Scott know and we can
give you some likely routes.

Joan Schnabel    in beautiful Buffalo County