[mou] Ornithologists

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 12:38:11 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01C75CC7.A37B1BB0

I was there when Kim Eckert noticed this large Jaeger soar over our =
heads behind the airport at Park Point. I still remember telling Kim =
while observing the bird that the two central tail feathers were rounded =
at the tip vs. a pointed tip. =20

Anyway since then I have two records with two different results from two =
state record committees.

About three years ago (forgot exact date) Tom Auer, myself and Robbye =
Johnson watched a very large Jaeger coming up the beach along Wisconsin =
Point and eventually it flew across the Superior Entry Way and into =
Minnesota. We ID the Jaeger as a Pomarine Jaeger.  The Minn. Records =
Committee voted it down but the Wisconsin Records Committee voted in =
favor of it based on a photo that Robbye took that day.  Hopefully =
someday I will get that photo and send it to the MOURC. We all took =
independent notes and some of ID marks we written conflicted which =
resulted in this bird being turned down by MOURC.

Then in 2005 I was scanning the lake from the lighthouse on WI. Pt. and =
saw a juvenile Jaeger fly in front of me and over my head. I ID it as a =
immature Long-tailed Jaeger. The Jaeger also flew into Wisconsin waters =
so the record was also sent to the WI records committee. The result of =
the sighting for Minnesota was turned down but Wisc. Records Comm. voted =
in favor of it.  A Long-tailed Jaeger is a lifer for me and right now I =
have no idea how to count it, well I can add it to my WI state list but =
as a North American/lifer bird-- well I am going to wait till I see a =
adult but I still feel very confident that the bird was indeed a =
juvenile Long-tailed Jaeger.

I have tons of respect for our records committee here in Minnesota. =
Jaegers and Ibis species are very tough to ID especially in fall plumage =
and also not all of the birders on MOURC have experience with juvenile =
jaegers or fall plumage ibis.

Oh by the way Duluth got about 20+ inches of snow, on top of the foot =
and a half we received a few days ago before this storm.  =20

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Lake Superior Boat Trips
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0032_01C75CC7.A37B1BB0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" color=3D#808000 size=3D4>I was there =
when Kim Eckert=20
noticed this large Jaeger soar over our heads behind the airport at Park =
Point.=20
I still remember telling Kim while observing the bird that the two =
central tail=20
feathers were rounded at the tip vs. a pointed tip.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" color=3D#808000 =
size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" color=3D#808000 size=3D4>Anyway since =
then I have two=20
records with two different results from two state record=20
committees.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" color=3D#808000 =
size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" color=3D#808000 =
size=3D4>About&nbsp;three years ago=20
(forgot exact date) Tom Auer, myself and Robbye Johnson watched a very =
large=20
Jaeger coming up the beach along Wisconsin Point and eventually it flew =
across=20
the Superior Entry Way and into Minnesota. We ID the Jaeger as a =
Pomarine=20
Jaeger.&nbsp; The Minn. Records Committee voted it down but the =
Wisconsin=20
Records Committee voted in favor of it based on a photo that Robbye took =
that=20
day.&nbsp; Hopefully someday I will get that photo and send it to the =
MOURC. We=20
all took independent notes and some of ID marks we written conflicted =
which=20
resulted in this bird being turned down by MOURC.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" color=3D#808000 =
size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" color=3D#808000 size=3D4>Then in 2005 I =
was scanning=20
the lake from the lighthouse on WI. Pt. and saw a juvenile Jaeger fly in =
front=20
of me and over my head. I ID it as a immature Long-tailed Jaeger. The =
Jaeger=20
also flew into Wisconsin waters so the record was also sent to the WI =
records=20
committee. The result of the&nbsp;sighting for Minnesota was turned down =
but=20
Wisc. Records Comm. voted in favor of it.&nbsp; A Long-tailed Jaeger is =
a lifer=20
for me and right now I have no idea how to count it, well I can add it =
to my WI=20
state list but as a North American/lifer bird-- well I am going to wait =
till I=20
see a adult but I still feel very confident that the bird was indeed a =
juvenile=20
Long-tailed Jaeger.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" color=3D#808000 =
size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" color=3D#808000 size=3D4>I have tons of =
respect for=20
our records committee here in Minnesota. Jaegers and Ibis species are =
very tough=20
to ID especially in fall plumage and also not all of the birders on=20
MOURC&nbsp;have experience with juvenile jaegers or fall plumage=20
ibis.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" color=3D#808000 =
size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" color=3D#808000 size=3D4>Oh by the way =
Duluth got=20
about 20+ inches of snow, on top of the foot and a half we received a =
few days=20
ago before this storm. &nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" color=3D#808000 =
size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" color=3D#808000 =
size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" color=3D#808000 size=3D4>Michael=20
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth, Minnesota<BR>Lake Superior Boat Trips<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01C75CC7.A37B1BB0--