[mou] Owl Avenue: R.I.P.

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 15:04:04 -0600

Most birders don't show up, speak up, or pay up. Mike is an exception,=20=

but there are not many Mikes. If the state was to clear-cut land as=20
special to deer hunters as the Sax Zim land was to birders I suspect=20
the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association would be all over the DNR, the=20
legislature, and the governor. Hunters would be heard. Hunters are not=20=

shy about showing their passion, and they speak as a single entity.=20
They are organized and have leadership. Hunters also pay their way, so=20=

that helps.

Birders are essentially invisible. Make yourself visible. Buy a duck=20
stamp or one of the state hunting stamps. Stick it on a postcard and=20
send it to the governor. Tell him you are a birder. Tell him you count,=20=

you contribute, and you want to be recognized. (You might also tell him=20=

you are willing to buy a non-consumptive natural resource stamp each=20
year to help pay the bills.)

Honest to goodness -- loggers have economic value and make it known.=20
ATV riders and snowmobilers have economic value and make it known.=20
Hunters have economic value and make it known. Birders have economic=20
value, right? The MOU has over $200,000 in the bank. How about spending=20=

some of that money on lobbying the legislature. Make the value of=20
birders and birding known.

This is not rocket science.

Jim Williams
Wayzata