[mou] Owl Avenue: R.I.P.

Sharon Stiteler birdchick@gmail.com
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 15:56:09 -0600

--Apple-Mail-6--250842496
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Well said, Jim.

Sharon

On Mar 9, 2007, at 3:04 PM, Jim Williams wrote:

> [...]

> far is creating a lot of excitement to the community leaders as I =20
> been getting updates that the old Meadowlands school can be used as =20=

> a place to hold the talks, vendors and gathering place for =20
> birders.  I also have been getting updates about a place where a =20
> bird feeding station would be located.  The community leaders are =20
> aware of the logging and know the logging is not good for the birds =20=

> but on the other hand they are neighbors to the people who are =20
> logging the areas. Loggers have to feed their families too.
>
> I lost a good amount of respect for the state foresters and who are =20=

> using the larch beetle,  the spruce bud worm or whatever as a lame =20
> excuse to open up tracts of land to make money off it. Sure its =20
> good for the independent loggers who need the money but the fault =20
> lies with the state foresters for opening these tracts up for =20
> logging.  They might as well as erect a sign next to every logged =20
> out bog that says "brought to you by the state foresters".  Logging =20=

> out large expanses of sensitive spruce bogs is not the answer when =20
> it comes to the flora & fauna of the species that are found in =20
> these habitats.  I got one email last year from a DNR guy saying =20
> "the mature trees bordering the bog will re-seed the bog" That is =20
> full of crap! It was 3 years ago that they logged out the bog =20
> habitats along Co. Rd 133 and I been checking on these bogs to see =20
> if the above statement was true and so far the aspen trees are =20
> moving into these logged out areas!
>
> Here is another example of the DNR in the prime action:
>
> I got this email from a  concern person last week about the ATVs =20
> and the Cloquet River State Forest.
>
>  The system presently planned is to have the entire forest be =20
> managed with
> > a few small areas as non motorized.   It leaves a great deal of =20
> the forest
> > vulnerable to off trail and new trail development.    The DNR =20
> officers
> > I've spoken with off the record say they professionally oppose =20
> this but
> > that the hierarchy is demanding it - Polaris and Arctic Cat being
> > Minnesota Companies they are supported by this.   The DNR takes =20
> in over 3
> > million now per year for just atvs via registration and gas =20
> taxes.   They
> > spend 1.7 million on ATV enforcement, and they want MORE money =20
> for this,
> > despite the fact that they have only two officers specifically =20
> tasked to
> > enforce ATV laws.   The DNR is getting a LOT of money for their =20
> programs
> > by pushing ATVs.
> Yep that's our DNR!
>
> You can read more by going to this website: www.friendscvsf.org
>
> I am just plain upset with the management practices that are going =20

--Apple-Mail-6--250842496

<HTML><BODY style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -khtml-nbsp-mode: space; =
-khtml-line-break: after-white-space; ">Well said, Jim.<DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV><DIV><SPAN =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; =
border-spacing: 0px 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-align: auto; =
-khtml-text-decorations-in-effect: none; text-indent: 0px; =
-apple-text-size-adjust: auto; text-transform: none; orphans: 2; =
white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; "><SPAN =
[...]
"><DIV>Sharon</DIV><DIV><BR class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><BR =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN> =
</DIV><BR><DIV><DIV>On Mar 9, 2007, at 3:04 PM, Jim Williams =
wrote:</DIV><BR class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><BLOCKQUOTE =
type=3D"cite"><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Most birders don't show up, =
speak up, or pay up. Mike is an exception, but there are not many Mikes. =
If the state was to clear-cut land as special to deer hunters as the Sax =
Zim land was to birders I suspect the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association =
would be all over the DNR, the legislature, and the governor. Hunters =
would be heard. Hunters are not shy about showing their passion, and =
they speak as a single entity. They are organized and have leadership. =
Hunters also pay their way, so that helps.</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; =
min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Birders are =
essentially invisible. Make yourself visible. Buy a duck stamp or one of =
the state hunting stamps. Stick it on a postcard and send it to the =
governor. Tell him you are a birder. Tell him you count, you contribute, =
and you want to be recognized. (You might also tell him you are willing =
to buy a non-consumptive natural resource stamp each year to help pay =
the bills.)</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">Honest to goodness -- loggers have economic value =
and make it known. ATV riders and snowmobilers have economic value and =
make it known. Hunters have economic value and make it known. Birders =
have economic value, right? The MOU has over $200,000 in the bank. How =
about spending some of that money on lobbying the legislature. Make the =
value of birders and birding known.</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; min-height: =
14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">This is not rocket =
science.</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">Jim Williams</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; =
">Wayzata</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; =
min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; min-height: =
14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">On Mar 9, 2007, at 9:39 AM, Mike Hendrickson =
wrote:</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">This is truly heart wrenching knowing one of my =
favorites places to bird in Minnesota is being mowed down for money and =
also for some lame excuse to control some pest!=A0 I=A0and a few other =
birders that have spent a lot of time in the Sax Zim bog=A0have grown =
very fond of it which makes this logging very tough on me and others.=A0 =
This area along Owl Avenue has nesting Connecticut Warblers, =
Yellow-bellied Flycatchers and Boreal Chickadees.=A0 Driving along this =
stretch of Owl Avenue during the winter has produced Great Gray Owls and =
assortment of winter finches.=A0 Other than birds that are found along =
this stretch of bog=A0several species of bog plants and orchids were =
found in this bog as well.</DIV><P style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px =
0.0px">=A0</P><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">This logging or the so-called =
"pest management control" practice is far from being done! McDavitt Road =
is currently being logged out, some of the bogs=A0along Co. Rd 133 has =
been logged out. I am sure the foresters will eye up Admiral Road as a =
possible place to control this pest since the Admiral Road is just a =
mile or so east of McDavitt Road.</DIV><P style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px =
0.0px 0.0px">=A0</P><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">This group (Friends of Sax Zim =
Bog) was not a very effective group even though I was asked numerous =
times to come and sit in at their meetings. I did not show up because =
there were to many government people sitting in on these meetings and I =
felt they were there to put on a good face and that is all!=A0 Nothing =
productive came from these meetings except a lot of wishful thinking and =
ideas!</DIV><P style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px">=A0</P><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">I been=A0emailing with and soon will be meeting with =
the mayor and other community leaders of the Toivola-Meadowlands area to =
discuss several projects before I leave for Colorado this April.=A0 =
These projects include developing a=A0winter birding festival, create a =
winter bird feeding station where=A0birders from all over can visit the =
feeders in peace without being run off the road and also hanging some =
deer=A0rib cages out in the remaining bog areas to attract Boreal =
Chickadees and other birds.=A0=A0The birding festival so far is creating =
a lot of excitement to the community leaders as I been getting updates =
that the old Meadowlands school=A0can be used as a place to hold the =
talks, vendors and gathering place for birders.=A0 I also have been =
getting updates about=A0a place where=A0a=A0bird feeding station would =
be located.=A0 The community leaders are aware of the logging and =
know=A0the logging is not good for the birds but on the other hand they =
are neighbors to the people who are logging the areas. Loggers have to =
feed their families too.</DIV><P style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px =
0.0px">=A0</P><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">I lost=A0a good amount of =
respect for the state foresters and who are using the=A0larch beetle,=A0 =
the spruce bud worm or whatever as a lame excuse to=A0open up tracts of =
land to make money off it. Sure its good for the independent loggers who =
need the=A0money but the fault lies with the state foresters for opening =
these tracts up for logging.=A0 They might as well as erect a sign next =
to every logged out bog that says "brought to you by the=A0state =
foresters".=A0=A0Logging out large expanses of sensitive spruce bogs is =
not the answer when it comes to the flora &amp; fauna of the species =
that are found in these habitats.=A0 I got one email last year from a =
DNR guy saying "the mature trees bordering the bog will re-seed the bog" =
That is full of crap! It was 3 years ago that they logged out the bog =
habitats along Co. Rd 133 and I been checking on these bogs to see if =
the above statement was true=A0and so far the aspen trees are moving =
into these logged out areas!</DIV><P style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px =
0.0px">=A0</P><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Here is another example of the =
DNR in the prime action:</DIV><P style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px =
0.0px">=A0</P><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">I got this email from a=A0 =
concern person last week about the ATVs and the Cloquet River=A0State =
Forest.</DIV><P style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px">=A0</P><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">=A0The system presently planned is to have the =
entire forest be managed with</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">&gt; a few =
small areas as non motorized.=A0=A0 It leaves a great deal of the =
forest</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">&gt; vulnerable to off trail and =
new trail development.=A0=A0=A0 The DNR officers</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">&gt; I've spoken with off the record say they =
professionally oppose this but</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">&gt; that the =
hierarchy is demanding it - Polaris and Arctic Cat being</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">&gt; Minnesota Companies they are supported by =
this.=A0=A0 The DNR takes in over 3</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">&gt; million =
now per year for just atvs via registration and gas taxes.=A0=A0 =
They</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">&gt; spend 1.7 million on ATV =
enforcement, and they want MORE money for this,</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">&gt; despite the fact that they have only two =
officers specifically tasked to</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">&gt; enforce =
ATV laws.=A0=A0 The DNR is getting a LOT of money for their =
programs</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">&gt; by pushing ATVs.</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">Yep that's our DNR!</DIV><P style=3D"margin: 0.0px =
0.0px 0.0px 0.0px">=A0</P><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: =
0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">You can read more by going =
to this website: <A =
href=3D"http://www.friendscvsf.org">www.friendscvsf.org</A></DIV><P =
style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px">=A0</P><DIV style=3D"margin-top:=
 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">I am =
just plain upset with the management practices that are going on up in =
Sax Zim Bog.</DIV><P style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px">=A0</P><DIV=
 style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">Mike Hendrickson=A0</DIV><P style=3D"margin: 0.0px =
0.0px 0.0px 0.0px">=A0</P><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: =
0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Michael =
Hendrickson</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Duluth, Minnesota</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">Lake Superior Boat Trips</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; "><A =
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.charte=
r.net/mmhendrickson/</A></DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">----- Original Message -----</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">From: sparky stensaas</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">To: <A =
href=3D"mailto:mou-net@cbs.umn.edu">mou-net@cbs.umn.edu</A></DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 6:34 AM</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">Subject: [mou] Owl Avenue: R.I.P.</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; =
min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">As Mike =
Hendrickson had warned, Owl Avenue has been logged. Essentially ruined =
for birding. A 100 foot swath of mature black spruce has been clearcut =
on the west side of the road and in some places, on both sides of the =
road. This will certainly NOT be the place to look for Boreal =
Chickadees. [I recommend the two-mile stretch of mature black spruce =
along CR52 immediately east of Owl Avenue...Boreals can be found =
here.]</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">What is especially upsetting about this logging is =
that St. Louis County and state Foresters KNEW THIS WAS AN IMPORTANT =
BIRDING AREA. After the Owl Invasion of 2004-2005 there were meetings in =
Cotton to brainstorm on how Sax-Zim could cater to birders and bring in =
tourism dollars to the local communities. The foresters=A0were at =
several meetings alongside the MN DNR Nongame, local business owners and =
birders. They heard the excitement of the locals, of the birders, of the =
Non game DNR...But the foresters attitude from the start was on of "You =
can tell us the value of this area but we are going to log where we =
want." Their solution was always to send birders to other areas where =
these birds could be found. The arrogance was obvious and unproductive =
to the goals of the meeting.</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; min-height: =
14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">I'm also upset with myself and =
the birding community for not seeing the handwriting on the wall and =
doing something about it.</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">So scratch =
Owl Avenue out of the Sax-Zim section of your copy of Kim Eckert's =
Birders Guide to MN.</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: =
0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; =
"><BR></DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">Sparky Stensaas</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">2515 Garthus =
Road</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Wrenshall, MN 55797=A0</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">218.341.3350 cell</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><A =
href=3D"mailto:sparkystensaas@hotmail.com">sparkystensaas@hotmail.com</A><=
/DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: =
0px; margin-left: 0px; ">www.stoneridgepress.com</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Find =
what you need at prices you=92ll love. Compare products and save at MSN=AE=
 Shopping. _______________________________________________ mou-net =
ilman/listinfo/mou-net</A></DIV> </BLOCKQUOTE><DIV style=3D"margin-top: =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; =
">_______________________________________________</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">mou-net mailing list</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><A =
href=3D"mailto:mou-net@cbs.umn.edu">mou-net@cbs.umn.edu</A></DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; "><A =
href=3D"http://cbs.umn.edu/mailman/listinfo/mou-net">http://cbs.umn.edu/ma=
ilman/listinfo/mou-net</A></DIV> =
</BLOCKQUOTE></DIV><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>=

--Apple-Mail-6--250842496--