[mou] Owl Avenue: R.I.P.

Laura Erickson bluejay@lauraerickson.com
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:29:41 -0600

------=_Part_3277_28497496.1173472181751

The trick is that MOU, Audubon Minnesota, and a host of local organizations
each think they're the one who should take the lead on issues like this,
they each work apart, and individuals get snooty and stop working together
because each wants to be the leader or they'll take their toys home.
Minnesota birders can't even work together with a single listserv!  In this
particular case, there were plenty of information postings and warnings
before the logging took place, and there was a well-publicized series of
meetings in Meadowlands about protecting the bog and promoting it for
birding as Sparky mentioned.  If the Conservation Committee wasn't aware of
this, it wasn't for lack of well-publicized information. I suspect that some
people shied away from the issue because they were willing to accept the
DNR's claim that trees must be cut down to protect them from the very
insects that feed Black-backed Woodpeckers.

Laura Erickson, Duluth

--
Laura Erickson

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.  There
is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature--the
assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

--Rachel Carson

------=_Part_3277_28497496.1173472181751

The trick is that MOU, Audubon Minnesota, and a host of local
organizations each think they&#39;re the one who should take the lead on
issues like this, they each work apart, and individuals get
snooty and stop working together because each wants to be the leader or they&#39;ll take their toys home.&nbsp; Minnesota birders can&#39;t even work
together with a single listserv!&nbsp; In this particular case, there were
plenty of information postings and warnings before the logging took place, and
there was a well-publicized series of meetings in Meadowlands about
protecting the bog and promoting it for birding as Sparky mentioned.&nbsp; If the Conservation Committee
wasn&#39;t aware of this, it wasn&#39;t for lack of well-publicized
information.
I suspect that some people shied away from the issue because they were willing to accept the DNR&#39;s claim that trees must be cut down to protect them from the very insects that feed Black-backed Woodpeckers.<br><span class="sg">
</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

<hr style="margin-top: 10px;">AOL now offers free email to everyone.  Find out more about what&#39;s free from AOL at <a title="http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000339" href="http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000339" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">

------=_Part_3277_28497496.1173472181751--