[mou] Hedbom Rd Great Gray

Kim R Eckert kreckert@cpinternet.com
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 20:45:00 -0600

Bob Russell and I birded with Phil Stouffer (a visiting birder from
LSU) around Duluth & vicinity today and saw a Great Gray Owl along the
Hedbom Forest Rd, 3.7 mi W of the state forest road sign/gate. It was
out hunting along the N side of the road about 4:30 pm. Other birds of
note seen today:

- N Hawk Owl / still present on Rice Lake Rd, ~1/4 mi N of Martin Rd
(in deciduous trees on E side of road)
- Black-backed Woodpecker / in Sax-Zim Bog on Blue Spruce Rd, 0.6 mi N
of CR 133
- Horned Lark / unexpected spring migrant along Floodwood Rd, ~1/2 mi E
of Hedbom Forest Rd sign/gate
- Boreal Chickadee / in Sax-Zim Bog on Blue Spruce Rd, 0.3 mi N of CR
133 (a few Com Redpolls also present)
- White-winged Crossbill / in Sax-Zim Bog on Arkola Rd / CR 52, 1.1 mi
E of Owl Ave
- Evening Grosbeaks / in Sax-Zim Bog at 2 feeders along Nichols Lake Rd
(just W of Hwy 53 & on the E side of the lake; Pine Grosbeaks also
present)

Besides the Horned Lark, other possible signs of spring today were a
few Canada Geese in the Duluth harbor (which I don't think had been
present since January?) and a Dark-eyed Junco in my yard (none present
in the neighborhood until today).

Kim Eckert