[mou] RE: [mnbird] Indicator Birds? (was BBS Surveys)

Weldon, Ken Ken.Weldon@mts.com
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:54:38 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C45F83.B67FDA9B

The first time I ever used the mnbird.net was about 5 or 6 years ago. We
lived on a hobby farm north of Glencoe in McLeod county. I notice then that
I hadn't heard any meadowlarks. We now live in Hutchinson. I frequently walk
the Luce Line trail in both directions out of Hutch. Since that first
message I have still not heard a meadowlark in McLeod County. It's sad.

By the way, a male and female Oriole are frequent visitors to my jelly
feeder. They and the house finches have gone through almost a pound of grape
Jelly in the last 2 weeks. We have at least one male and female hummingbird
coming to both the hummer and Oriole nectar feeder regularly. I don't know
if they are a pair because they always leave in opposite directions. Last
night the male rooster on the feeder and it was the first time I could
really see the ruby colors on its throat when it would turn its head just
the right way.

Also, I had asked a few week ago about a hawk I thought was a Goshawk. A
local birder with a good spotting scope helped me positively identify it as
a Coopers hawk. She has two chicks. They were big enough to stand on the
edge of the nest about a week ago. They should be about 4 weeks old now. I
wanted to take my telescope to get a close look at them but the mosquitoes
drive me away.

The nest is in the south west corner of Miller woods in Hutchinson, McLeod
County. Miller woods public parking is about 1/4 North of MN highway 7 on
School Road.

Ken