[mou] Hennepin Cty, Theodore Wirth Park and Lake

John Quinn jquinn@technicaltoolproducts.com
Sat, 31 Mar 2007 19:57:31 -0500

Birded around Theo Wirth Lake today at about 10:00 am.
Found the following around the lake:
Song Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Eastern Phoebe
Pileated Woodpecker - Carving out a football sized hole in one of the pines.
Possible nest hole?

On the lake:
Common Loon (1)
Pied Billed Grebe (2)
Lesser Scaup (~7-10) Out in the middle of the lake. Flew up and around then
southwest.
Possible Red-necked or Horned Grebe - Not a positive I.D. I caught a glimpse
of the bird across the lake and chased him all around the lake. It would
surface with just the head above water then slip back under. I must have
spent 45 minutes trying - no scope with me today - but never got a good
view. Will go early AM tomorrow to try again with a scope.

John Quinn
Technical Tool Products, Inc.
7600 W 27th Street
Suite B11