[mou] Crosby Monday

linda birds@moosewoods.us
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:34:21 -0500

There were a few new (to me) additions to the Crosby crew of visitors
yesterday. Over the river were two turkey vultures; on the river was a
pair of hooded mergansers. Along the banks flocks of both golden-crowned
and ruby-crowned kinglets appeared, along with the hermit thrushes, and
fox and song sparrows. The kingfisher could still be heard across the
way, on Pike Island.

The yellow-rumped warbler and E. phoebe were on the north side of the
large lake, where a nice hatch of insects were flying about. It was good
to see them in the canopy, albeit the lower reaches, instead of
relegated to the understory.

The bufflehead--6 or 7--were back on the large lake, along with some
gulls. So were the tree swallows, but they must have found more to eat;
they spent a lot of time just soaking up the sun, lined up side-by side
like so many buds on a tree.

On the south side of the lake, the brown creepers were in evidence.
There were also some very melodious blackbirds, and Kyle's post makes me
wish I'd paid closer attention to id them. (Of course it WAS supposed to
be an exercise walk, but...) Best of all, I believe I heard a few bars
of the winter wren's song, though I couldn't spot one. Since Crosby is
where I saw my first winter wren, I can always hope.

Linda Whyte