[mou] Pishing (or is it spishing)

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 19 23:34:38 CDT 2007

Anybody who birds with me, knows that I frequently pish occasionally with
excellant results.  I feel that I have had some excellant conversations.
Obviously some birds species respond and others could give a d...m.  The
chickadees are best known for their responsiveness.  I believe that most
times of the year, if there is a chickadee within a quarter of a mile, it
will check you out.  I have pished whole flocks of thirty and more out of
the brush.  Once I held my hand out and pished a chickadee right onto my
hand.  Other bird groups that are strongly responsive are the warblers,
nuthatches, finches, sparrows, wrens, and gnatcatchers.  I once walked up to
a bush and pished from about ten feet away.  A song sparrow flew out heading
straight for the sound and my face, veering off course at about three feet
and heading back into the bush.  A second set of pishing and he flew half
way out and settled on the trail and stared.  I like to sit under a bush
where I am all but hidden and pish.  One time I filled the bush with about a
half dozen assorted warblers that were four to ten feet away.

While some species in a group are more reactive than others, I have found
that the more reactive species groups almost always respond.  I have heard
that pishing does not work in the tropics, but when I was down in Ecuador, I
found that the warblers and sparrows were still very responsive.  But, they
make up a much smaller percentage of the bird population.

Other birds are unresponsive.  I have never seen any reaction from a
flycatcher or a shorebird.  Also I have had no response from any
butterflies, but even though I try, I have never expected one.  One time I
thought the woods were so quiet that an accipiter must be near.  I pished
and a Cooper's Hawk flew by about 20 or 30 feet away.

I do make other sounds to attract birds.  A Screech Owl trill I found is
successful in calling some birds, especially cavity nesters.  And a short
low whistle will draw out some owls.  I have had Long-eared Owls and
Great-horned Owls respond. Once a GHO flew just a couple of feet over my
head.

sweston2 at comcast.net