[mou] RFI: Palm Warbler question

warbler 1231 birdmandan1231 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 20 01:18:00 CDT 2007

Hello All,

I'd like to give a little background information before I present my
questions.

I found a single Palm Warbler of the hypochrysea (Eastern) subspecies at
Pikes Peak State Park in Clayton County, (northeast) Iowa in late April. I
had a prolonged and very good view of the bird for several minutes and
documented it for the IOU RC.

As ignorant as this sounds, I was actually unaware the hypochrysea
subspecies was a rare migrant (vagrant?) through the Midwest. I now have
notes of 3 separate encounters with what I believe to be this subspecies,
dating back to 2003, from Allamakee (1 encounter) and Clayton (2 encounters)
Counties in Iowa.

So, with that in mind, I'm curious if there are any standing records of the
Eastern (hypochrysea) race of Palm Warbler from Minnesota and I am also
curious if anyone has seen this subspecies in the state and not reported it,
the observation was rejected by the MOU records committee, etc. I am trying
to gather as much information on this subspecies from the Midwest as
possible.

Thank you for any information.

Danny Akers
Ankeny, Iowa (Polk Co.)