[mou] Around the Metro: Black-throated Blue & shorebirds

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Sun May 20 14:17:37 EDT 2007

Yesterday (Saturday) looking unsuccessfully for the Neotropical Cormorant.
Best bird there were the three pairs of Ruddy Ducks.  Stopped at Wood Lake
in Richfield a little after noon, entering at a southeast entry from Bryant
off of Oak Grove.  Took the left fork in the trail and walked about a 100
yards before I heard the Black-throated Blue Warbler.  I was able to follow
it around in its wanderings and got many beautiful looks.

On Thursday I found myself late in the day in southern Dakota County and
decided to check out the shorebird spots.  140th Street marsh (north and
east of US52 and CR42) should probably be referred to as "140th Street dry
pond"  as there is little there to interest a passing shorebird.  Arrived at
Lake Byllesby to find lots of inviting habitat, but not shorebirds.  Finally
after looking at distant gulls and waterfowl, I saw a flight of 10 peeps
heading upstream.  I headed around the bend, but still found nothing.  Then
I saw about a dozen Semi-Palmated Plovers and upstream and almost out of
sight around the bend, I saw a few shorebirds.  So, I headed throught the
woods and across the field to the southwest edge of the park, fought my way
through a buckthorn thicket, and set up my scope on the shore where I found
at least 50 Least Sandpipers, none of which I was able to morph into
anything else.  Then a couple of Short-billed Dowitchers wandered around the
corner of cattails, but soon flew downstrean.  A Northern Waterthrush also
wandered by.   I checked the flats on my way out and found lots of small
shorebirds out on the edge of my optics range.  I found the Semi-Palmated
Sandpipers, which I had earlier censused at about 18, but now counted under
adverse conditions at at least 63.  Other peeps out there were probably
Leasts, but, they were not as easy to differentiate.

On the way back north, I headed up Blaine Avenue where I relocated the
Loggerhead Shrike at 260th Street.  Presumably this is one of a returning
pair that may have nested about a half mile west last year.

On the home front, the male Orioles are queing up to taste my gourmet jelly
(cheep grape).  And there is all kind of wood duck and hooded merganser
activity at my houses.  At least three of the five are being used.

sweston2 at comcast.net