[mou] Watch Those Turkey Vultures

Sharon Stiteler sharon at birdchick.com
Mon May 21 10:40:58 CDT 2007

I got the following from Carrol Henderson this morning about turkey
vulture migration:

"Last night I got a call from Bruce Ause, retired director of the Red
Wing Environmental Learning Center. He was out hiking on Barnes Bluff
south of Red Wing last Thursday, May 17, and observed a dozen turkey
vultures resting on the ground. One of them had a pale blue patagial
tag on the right wing with the black letters "45." He called me to
find out if I knew of anyone who was doing vulture marking studies. I
did some "trolling for vultures" on the internet after he called and
discovered that 100 migrating turkey vultures had been wing tagged in
NW Venezuela with pale blue and with red patagial tags. So the turkey
vulture observed by Bruce had wintered somewhere in South America and
was passing through Venezuela on its way back to Minnesota.
Radiotelemetry studies have identified South American wintering
destinations for Swainson's hawks, ospreys, and broad-winged hawks,
so I thought you would like to know that our local turkey vultures
are international travelers as well.  Have a good day. Carrol"

Sharon Stiteler
www.birdchick.com
Minneapolis, MN