[mou] Non-birding topic - Snakes

Fagyal, Chris E (US SSA) christopher.e.fagyal at baesystems.com
Mon May 21 10:56:25 CDT 2007

On the topic of snakes, since Bob has seen a few recently, I thought I'd
mention this as some may be interested.

I was able to observe, for 40+ minutes two Bull Snakes mating in
Sherburne NWR.  It was absolutely fascinating, as I have only seen
garter snakes in Minnesota and a Black Racer in Costa Rica before in my
lifetime.  I don't go specifically searching for them, and snakes
generally avoid people if possible, so they can be somewhat difficult to
find.  I was amazed at how placid they were, and how they completely
ignored me no matter how close I got.  Because they were on the road, I
slowly helped them off of it, so they wouldn't get run over.  In the
process I was able to study them closely, and feel how incredibly strong
a small (these were maybe 3 feet long) constrictor is.  It is really
quite amazing.  It took quite a bit of effort with a golf club to
actually move them even a little bit, and you could feel how the entire
body was entirely muscle.  The sticks I found nearby certainly weren't
of any help, as I wanted to try to move them without actually picking
them up and interrupting their activities.  I eventually succeeded by
gently using the club head end of a golf club.

I was able to get some pretty nice images of the two, and have posted a
few of them on my website at http://www.avianphotos.org.

You can find them in the Reptiles section of the Gallery.  Excuse the
clutter as I re-work the gallery over the coming weeks.

Chris Fagyal
Senior Software Engineer
BAE Systems - Armament Systems
Fridley, MN