[mou] Crex Meadows

John Green jgreen at d.umn.edu
Mon Nov 19 16:32:42 CST 2007

On Sunday November 18th we stopped at Crex Meadows and drove the dike
roads around Phantom Lake and the Wildlife Refuge for about one and
one-half hours from 10-11:30.  We counted 35 Rough-legged Hawks (many
actively hunting), 3 Bald Eagles, 3 Northern Harriers and one Red-tailed
Hawk.  Also 3 Sandhill Cranes (flying), hundreds of Mallards and a
zillion Canada Geese, mostly at the park in Grantsburg.  It was cloudy,
in the mid-30's and with a good breeze.  The shallow pools were all
frozen but a few deeper pools still had some open water.  Lots of deer
hunters but they did not seem to bother the raptors.

Jan and John Green