[mou] Barrow's Goldeneye E of L. Pepin (Wabasha Co.)

Bruce Fall bafall at umn.edu
Sat Feb 16 19:48:51 CST 2008

There was an adult male Barrow's Goldeneye with a large flock of
Common Goldeneyes in the Mississippi R. this afternoon (16 Feb.) 1/2
mi. E of the far E end of Lake Pepin, Wabasha Co. We viewed it
(12:30-13:30) from the first (long) pulloff W of Read's Landing, but
most of the flock had left this site by mid afternoon. This probably
is one of the two males reported two weeks ago at the same location.
I also saw a probable 1st-year male BAGO in the same area, identified
by its distinctive head and bill shape. I was unable to study this
bird extensively since it was first diving, then sleeping, much of
the time. There were over 1000 goldeneyes from here to Read's
Landing; other ducks of interest included a male Canvasback, a male
Lesser Scaup, and two (male, female) Greater Scaup. At Prescott, WI
(10:45), the adult male Harlequin Duck was near the railroad trestle
(both in WI and MN), two months to the day after its initial discovery.

Bruce A. Fall
Minneapolis