[mou] price of gasoline

jtanamachi at comcast.net jtanamachi at comcast.net
Wed Feb 27 10:08:15 CST 2008

Although the money is significant and becoming more so all the time, it's the use of fossil fuels that has been on my mind for a while. When it is time to replace my trusty Outback, I plan to choose something more fuel-efficient.

In the near term, my husband Steve and I are more careful about when and where we go birding. We have been birding locally more often. When we do travel a greater distance, we try to hit several places over a long day or two of birding. That being said, we still managed to put 1000 miles on a rental car during a recent trip to Oklahoma (lots of wide open spaces there.) I guess I am not so good about practicing what I preach.

We are not really "listers" although we do keep trackof what we've seen and what/where the birds were seen. I think it must be harder for those who do want to go and see the most recent rarity in a far corner of the state. I understand that many of the listers already carpool when they can.

Going on a group trip, so that carpooling can be done, seems like a practical way of dealing with rising prices while still getting out to see the birds. I commend Kim Eckert, who had been insisting on this for a long time.

Jeanne Tanamachi
Lauderdale MN

From: Jim Williams <two-jays at att.net>