[mou] Metro shorebird habitat

Diana Doyle diana at managingthewaterway.com
Sat Jul 19 16:18:14 CDT 2008

Adding to Alyssa's metro shorebird habitat post (below), Here's what
I've found re: mudflats near my area in the past week or so.

At best I can only come up with a couple of small spots of mud or
sand flats:

- L. Hiawatha has a small sand flat (if no rain in previous 24
hours), but so far only spotted sandpipers.
- Minnehaha Creek lagoon (just upstream from Minnehaha Falls at
Minnehaha Parkway and 39th Ave S.) has a mudflat near the new canoe
launch (again if no rain 24 hours previous), that has had solitary
sandpipers on some mornings.
- Bass Ponds/Long Meadow Lake has three mudflats forming (just east
of the hwy 77 bridge), where I saw semipalmated sandpipers, spotted
sandpiper, and killdeer.
- The small lake in the Lilly parcel of Dodge Nature Center has a
long muddy shore, but so far only lots of killdeer.
- A tiny drainage pond at Dodd & Hwy 110 in Mendota has adult and at
least one fledgling spotted sandpiper.
- An overflow pond at Hwy 13 & Pilot Knob (SE corner) has a bit of
edge mud, recently with 5 spotted sandpipers.
- In addition to the least sandpipers Alyssa mentioned at Purgatory
Creek, I saw a Wilson's phalarope there last weekend, feeding just
next to the gravel dike path.

Diana Doyle
S. Minneapolis

From: "alyssa"
Date: July 19, 2008 1:08:33  CDT

Shorebird habitat in the metro appears to be poor. 140th St. marsh is
now basically a wet field, and 180th is too full with water. As
learned earlier this week, Lake Byllesby does not draw down in the
fall. Purgatory Creek is actually somewhat decent, with today's
species including Least Sandpipers and Lesser Yellowlegs. Hopefully,
as it progresses into August, it will become drier and attract more
shorebirds.