[mou] Update- Varied Thrush

Watson, Alexander Robert alexander.watson at mnsu.edu
Thu Mar 27 20:58:34 CDT 2008

Hello

Thought that I should inform the whole list about this because I reported it to the whole list.

Last summer around July 3rd I reported a female Varied Thrush at Carex WMA in freeborn county.

My notes and documentation (which I made long after the fact) did not include any information about wing bars or wing coloring.
I feel that I should change this bird to "unidentified" as I cannot rule out an oddly plumaged robin (There were many robins around).
Sorry to get your hopes up.

If a Varied Thrush ever does make an appearance in the summer, I don't doubt that Carex would be a good place for it.
This last week Carex WMA has hosted a pair of Sand Hill Cranes, a Northern Shrike, and I found several owl pellets in a white washed cedar stand that looked like it could have been taken from the Hertzels' 2000 Long Eared Owl piece in the Loon :)

PS is there any one who could ID the owl from pictures of the pellet and some measurements? I would be grateful.

Alex Watson