[mou] [mnbird] Re: purpose of mou-net

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt at bestbuy.com
Mon May 5 14:28:32 CDT 2008

People should report their sightings to MOU and be comfortable about it.
Any bird seen in MN is perfectly ok to post, or questions about ID. I
believe the moderators wish to direct interpersonal messages not
directly involved with birds in Minnesota away form the list serve. I am
not saying that from any official position, but rather from my
participation and observations of this list server. Beginners, I would
hope, should be made very welcome here, I always enjoy reading and
responding to their posts.  Mnbird serves a very specific purpose,
focusing primarily on the SE MN birding community, with many subscribers
from all over MN, yet if you read MOU for the sightings and do not share
what you see with that community, then it seems to me everyone loses.
Please subscribe to both for as while and post to both for a while and
see if you do not benefit from the exchange. There are a thousand
readers of MOU-net, please allow the silent majority of those to benefit
from your participation, and if a moderator calls out posts that do not
meet the parameters for posting, just move ahead with the understanding
that it is really no big deal, we are just trying to keep the list
focused on bird sightings in MN. It is kind of like being called out of
bounds in basketball, no big deal, just understand where the boundary is
and stay inside of it. Please do not take it s a character judgment, it
is simply due diligence the moderators feel is necessary.

Go birding and let us know what you see, and if you do not wish to post
it, at least enter it into the seasonal birding program on the MOU
website. The MOU is the official state repository for seasonal bird
sightings, so use us for what we are in existence for. Join whatever
other groups you want, but stays linked to the centralized communication
the MOU offers, and stay active both in reading and posting. And by the
way, don't forget to go birding! I wish you all good birding.

Mark Alt

Brooklyn Center

Member of both Mnbird and MOU-net