[mou] Dakota/Hennepin County - Dickcissel / Henslows / Common Nighthawk

Derek Bakken spottedtowhee at gmail.com
Mon May 26 09:06:25 CDT 2008

After striking out finding the YTWA (I did find a life bird though -
2 Connecticut Warblers) I headed south on 52 down to 180th (which is
full of grass and almost zero birds) and then to Lake Byllesby (which
is full of water and almost zero birds) but did have a couple of
singing  Henslow's Sparrows (great looks) along the footpath that
runs from the parking area to the lake.

However, just south of 280th street along Hwy 56 there is a church
and behind that church is a field with a nice paved road what runs
through it.  Right off of Hwy 56 and that road there is a small pond
with some mud and in there I found 6 Semipalmated Plovers and about a
dozen Semipalmated Sandpipers along with a few Killdeer.  A
Grasshopper Sparrow was singing nearby also.  I made a pass through
once and I found:

Dickcissel (very bright colors and loud song)
Western Meadowlark
Clay Colored Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Brewer's Blackbird

I made it home around 8:30 and while getting out of the car I heard
and saw Chimney Swifts and a Common Nighthawk flying above me at the
intersection of Franklin and Hennepin in Uptown Minneapolis.

Maybe I can find that YTWA this morning.

-Derek Bakken
Minneapolis, MN

www.flickr.com/photos/dobak
ornitholature.blogspot.com