[mou] BGBY birding

Diana Doyle diana at managingthewaterway.com
Mon May 26 19:56:26 CDT 2008

I'm also doing a BGBY effort this year. It's been great for
neighborhood awareness (South Minneapolis along Minnehaha Creek).

This evening, on a walk with my husband from the house, I saw my bgby
bird #156 (an olive-sided flycatcher). Ironically, that is I believe
1/2 of Minnesota's 312 regular species (if 312 is correct!).

Nearly all of the 156 species were on foot, except for 9 seen only by
biking, and 9 seen by biking with an LRT "boost" (to the Minnesota
River Valley NWR). I generally walk about an hour a day in the
morning, then walk again in the evening, varying the time of day when
possible to pick up different species.

Some highlights for me:

Snowy Egret (at Bass Ponds)
Long-Eared Owl (at Lake Harriet)
American Bittern (in wetland along Minnehaha Creek)
Prothonotary Warbler (at Crosby Park)
Snow Goose (on Lake Nokomis)

It's been so encouraging to realize the fantastic birding so close to
home and in the metro area.

Diana Doyle
S. Minneapolis