[mou] Black-backed woodpeckers and Pine Siskins - Gunflint Lake, Cook County

Gunflint Naturalist naturalist@gunflint.com
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 20:39:02 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01C2FBB3.65E5EC40

Today I had the wonderful experience of seeing a male and a female black
backed woodpecker at the same time.  They both came to one tree about ten
feet from us along the South Rim Ski Trail, just south of where it meets the
High Cliffs Hiking Trail overlooking Gunflint Lake.  First we saw the male,
then the female landed below him.

In the last four days, the pine siskins have been seen two to three at a
time outside of the naturalist office at Gunflint Lodge.  They seem to be
eating in large part from the thistle feeder I have hanging outside the
window.

Some of the other birds that are migrating back through are; the bald eagle,
the American crow, and the snow bunting.  I saw a bald eagle close to
Gunflint Lake's High Cliffs.  There has also been report of an eagle at the
end of the Gunflint Trail, possibly returning to its nest in the Trails End
Campground.

The snow buntings have mainly been seen along the Gunflint Trail, but I have
also spotted them right next to Gunflint Lodge.

Some of the other birds that have been seen recently near Gunflint Lake are;
the common raven, the red-breasted nuthatch, the black-capped chickadee, the
hairy and downy woodpeckers, the American goldfinch, the purple finch, and
the evening grosbeak.

John Silliman
Head Naturalist
Gunflint Lodge

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01C2FBB3.65E5EC40

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DWindows-1252">
6.0.4417.0">
<TITLE>Black-backed woodpeckers and Pine Siskins - Gunflint Lake, Cook =
County</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Today I had the wonderful experience of =
seeing a male and a female black backed woodpecker at the same =
time.&nbsp; They both came to one tree about ten feet from us along the =
South Rim Ski Trail, just south of where it meets the High Cliffs Hiking =
Trail overlooking Gunflint Lake.&nbsp; First we saw the male, then the =
female landed below him.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">In the last four days, the pine siskins =
have been seen two to three at a time outside of the naturalist office =
at Gunflint Lodge.&nbsp; They seem to be eating in large part from the =
thistle feeder I have hanging outside the window.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Some of the other birds that are =
migrating back through are; the bald eagle, the American crow, and the =
snow bunting.&nbsp; I saw a bald eagle close to Gunflint Lake's High =
Cliffs.&nbsp; There has also been report of an eagle at the end of the =
Gunflint Trail, possibly returning to its nest in the Trails End =
Campground.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The snow buntings have mainly been seen =
along the Gunflint Trail, but I have also spotted them right next to =
Gunflint Lodge.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Some of the other birds that have been =
seen recently near Gunflint Lake are; the common raven, the red-breasted =
nuthatch, the black-capped chickadee, the hairy and downy woodpeckers, =
the American goldfinch, the purple finch, and the evening =
grosbeak.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">John Silliman</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Head Naturalist</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Gunflint Lodge</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------=_NextPart_000_0004_01C2FBB3.65E5EC40--