[mou] Saw-whets, Red Crossbills and others, Lake County

Bob Dunlap rmdbird@mn.rr.com
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 19:17:51 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0091_01C2FC71.379D87D0

This weekend Rick Hoyme and I birded Lake and Cook Counties.  On Friday =
night we birded along Lake County Road 2, listening for owls.  We =
counted 8 Northern Saw-whet Owls calling, but no Boreals or others.  We =
would have driven down Stoney River Forest Road, but it was covered in a =
good amount of snow.  On Saturday morning, we birded around Two Harbors. =
 We found a group of about 12 Long-tailed Ducks in Agate Bay (same ones =
as earlier in the week?).  Saturday afternoon and evening we birded =
along the Gunflint Trail in Cook County, again looking for owls.  We =
searched for the previously reported Hawk-Owl, but did not find it.  We =
heard only 2 Saw-whet Owls but once again no Boreals (we would have =
driven Lima Mt. Road, but the snow was again too deep). This morning =
(Sunday) we found a male Northern Pintail in the harbor of Grand Marais. =
 We birded back along Hwys. 1 and 2 in Lake County and found the =
following finches:
-Purple Finch (many)
-Pine Siskin (many)
-American Goldfinch (a few)
-Evening Grosbeak (several flocks along Hwy. 1 and Mitawan Rd.)
-White-winged Crossbill (several along Hwy. 1)
-Red Crossbill (along Hwy. 2 near junction with Hwy. 1)
-Pine Grosbeak (along Hwy. 2)

Most of Lake Superior was unfrozen by the time we arrived back in Duluth =
this afternoon.
-Bob Dunlap, Carver County
=20

------=_NextPart_000_0091_01C2FC71.379D87D0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This weekend Rick Hoyme and I birded =
Lake and Cook=20
Counties.&nbsp; On Friday night we birded along Lake County Road 2, =
listening=20
for owls.&nbsp; We counted 8 Northern Saw-whet Owls calling, but no =
Boreals or=20
others.&nbsp; We would have driven down Stoney River Forest Road, but it =
was=20
covered in a good amount of snow.&nbsp; On Saturday morning, we birded =
around=20
Two Harbors.&nbsp; We found a group of about 12 Long-tailed Ducks in =
Agate Bay=20
(same ones as earlier in the week?).&nbsp; Saturday afternoon and =
evening we=20
birded along the Gunflint Trail in Cook County, again looking for =
owls.&nbsp; We=20
searched for the previously reported Hawk-Owl, but did not find =
it.&nbsp; We=20
heard only 2 Saw-whet Owls but once again no Boreals (we would have =
driven Lima=20
Mt. Road, but the snow was again too deep).&nbsp;This morning (Sunday) =
we found=20
a male Northern Pintail in the harbor of Grand Marais.&nbsp; We birded =
back=20
along Hwys. 1 and 2 in Lake County and found the following =
finches:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Purple Finch (many)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Pine Siskin (many)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-American Goldfinch (a =
few)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Evening&nbsp;Grosbeak (several flocks =
along Hwy. 1=20
and Mitawan Rd.)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-White-winged Crossbill (several along =
Hwy.=20
1)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Red Crossbill (along Hwy. 2 near =
junction with=20
Hwy. 1)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Pine Grosbeak (along Hwy. =
2)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Most of Lake Superior was unfrozen by =
the time we=20
arrived back in&nbsp;Duluth this afternoon.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Bob Dunlap, Carver County</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0091_01C2FC71.379D87D0--