[mou] [Mnbird] Long-eared Owl, Ross Goose - Rock County; Loggerhead Shrike - Chippewa County

Herb Dingmann herbdingmann@mn.astound.net
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 23:29:56 -0500

I made a week-end trip to Rock County and found some interesting birds
despite the cold weather.

At Blue Mounds State Park, 2 Long-eared Owls were found in a cedar tree
at the cart-in campground east of the park office.

Three Ross Geese were found at the Hills sewage pond in southern Rock
County.

On my way back to St. Cloud today, I spotted a Shrike along the
northwest side of Hwy 23 in Chippewa County.  When I turned around and
pulled off on a farm-field access, the bird flew to a bush to the left
of the access, giving me an excellent view of a Loggerhead Shrike.  The
Shrike was about 3 miles southwest of Raymond (Kandiyohi County line),
between Chippewa CR 1 North and CR 1 South.  There is a stop sign for
the field access road as it crosses the railroad tracks, and the Shrike
was working just to the southwest of it.

Other birds seen this weekend:

Snow Goose - Luverne and Hills sewage ponds (Rock County)
Snow Goose - Edgerton sewage ponds (Pipestone County)
Greater White-fronted Goose - Luverne sewage ponds
L. Yellowlegs, G. Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpiper - Luverne sewage ponds
Eurasian-collared Dove - Renville (Renville County)
Eurasian-collared Dove - Russell (Lyon County)
Hermit Thrush - Blue Mounds State Park (Rock County)

Herb Dingmann
St. Cloud