[mou] Saturday watching around the central metro

Jonathan Ferguson jferguson@portfolioip.com
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 09:50:49 -0500

Some Highlights for me: Black-Crowned Night Heron; Green-Wing Teal; Common
Snipe; many different ducks smack dab in the middle of the metro;

Before this year, I had never really seen a Fox Sparrow; now, they're
everywhere!

I should probably edit this list, but in the Spirit of Dan T., I'll list
everything, including the cardinals (I'm originally from Utah, and we don't
have cardinals there).  I hope the "counts" aren't too vague.

Veteran's Park (Richfield)
Common Snipe (2)
Eastern Phoebe (2)
Fox Sparrow (many)
Tree Sparrow (many)
Song Sparrow (many)
Goldfinch (a few)
Chickadee (many)
Cardinal (many)
Unidentified large-ish accipiter: probably a Cooper's hawk or N. Goshawk
Never managed to see Conny's Winter Wren

Diamond Lake (So. Minneapolis)
Bufflehead (2)
Hooded Merganser (3+)
Ring-Neck Duck (1)
L. Scaup (several)
Wood Duck (several)
Pie-Billed Grebe (several)
A. Coot (many)
Ring-billed Gull (many)
Possible Herring Gull

Wood Lake (Richfield)
Downy Woodpecker (many)
Hairy Woodpecker (a couple)
House Sparrow (a couple)
Fox Sparrow (many)
Song Sparrow (many)
Tree Sparrow (a few)
House Finch (several)
Goldfinch (several)
Junco (many)
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet (1)
Golden-Crowned Kinglet (a few)
Phoebe (a few)
White-breasted Nuthatch (1, heard more)
Wood Duck (many)
N. Shoveler (a couple)
Blue-Wing Teal (a couple)
Green-Wing Teal (a couple)
Ring-Neck Duck (several)
Pie-Bill Grebe (several)
A. Coot (several)
Mallard (many)
Chickadee (many)
Cardinal
Canada Goose
Red-Wing Blackbird
Crow
Grackle
Starling
Robin
Ring-bill Gull
Another unidentified largish accipiter, probably a Cooper's Hawk (slightly
smaller than a crow, not as small as a typical Sharp-shinned Hawk -- didn't
know at the time to look at the tail shape (rounded off or squared off)).
Red-tailed Hawk
White-tail Deer (2)
Beaver (2)

Robert's Bird Sanctuary (Lake Harriet, SE Minneapolis)
Black-Crowned Night Heron: still at the same place after a few days
Woodcock (2+): we finally had one land where we could sit and watch it in
full view
Fox Sparrow (many)
Song Sparrow (several)
Junco (several)
Goldfinch (a few)
Phoebe (a couple)
Brown Creeper (a few)
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet (a few)
Downy Woodpecker (many)
Hairy Woodpecker (1)
Chickadee (many)
White-breasted Nuthatch (a few)
Cardinal
Red-wing Blackbird
Crow
Starling
Grackle
Rock Dove
Robin
Mallard
Killdeer (heard, didn't see)

Finally saw my first Great Egrets and Great Blue Herons while driving around
the farm country near Loretto in the far-west metro.

Jonathan Ferguson
Uptown, Minneapolis