[mou] Neotropical Cormorants at Big Stone NWR

Dennis/Barbara Martin dbmartin@skypoint.com
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:44:48 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C3611A.F3B25320

Afternoon update.

Bob Janssen, Jerry Bonkoski, and I were birding in Douglas County and =
changed plans to go south to Big Stone.  At 3:00PM there were no birds =
on the sand point so after a while we drove to the one way road where =
the draw down gates are on Hwy 75, about 2 miles south of Hwy 7 in Lac =
Qui Parle County.

>From there we were able to see a couple hundred cormorants sitting on =
stumps out in the middle on the refuge.  By driving down the one way =
dike road to the north for a while and walking cross county near the =
information kiosk we were able to reach the very high rock pile that was =
somewhat close to the stumps.  From this location we were able to find =
the two Neotropic Cormorants at about 4:00PM.  By 4:30 the sun had moved =
such that it was extremely dificult to make out the birds and one on =
them had even flown out into the middle of the lake to feed with some 50 =
plus dc cormorants.  We would suggest that you arrive in the AM to =
lessen the chance of having trouble with the sun, no matter where the =
bird may be loafing.

Also found today, two Eurasian Collared-doves in Milan, Chippewa County. =
 About a half block south of 1st and Main.  Although the block between =
Main and Lincoln, south of 1st is where the birds have been seen in the =
past.

Dennis Martin
dbmartin@skypoint.com

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C3611A.F3B25320

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Afternoon update.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Bob Janssen, Jerry Bonkoski, and I were birding in =
Douglas=20
County and changed plans to go south to Big Stone.&nbsp; At 3:00PM there =
were no=20
birds on the sand point so after a while we drove to the one way road =
where the=20
draw down gates are on Hwy 75, about 2 miles south of Hwy 7 in Lac Qui =
Parle=20
County.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>From there we were able to see a couple hundred =
cormorants=20
sitting on stumps out in the middle on the refuge.&nbsp; By driving down =

the&nbsp;one way dike road to the north for a while and walking cross =
county=20
near the information kiosk we were able to reach the very high rock pile =
that=20
was&nbsp;somewhat close to the stumps.&nbsp; From this location we were =
able to=20
find the two Neotropic Cormorants at about 4:00PM.&nbsp; By 4:30 the sun =
had=20
moved such that it was extremely dificult to make out the birds and one =
on them=20
had even flown out into the middle of the lake to feed with some 50 plus =
dc=20
cormorants.&nbsp; We would suggest that you arrive in the AM to lessen =
the=20
chance of having trouble with the sun, no matter where the bird may be=20
loafing.<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Also found today,&nbsp;two Eurasian Collared-doves =
in Milan,=20
Chippewa County.&nbsp; About a half block south of 1st and Main.&nbsp; =
Although=20
the block between Main and Lincoln, south of 1st is where the birds have =
been=20
seen in the past.</DIV></FONT>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dennis Martin<BR><A=20