[mou] Big Stone shorebird survey, 12 August

KarlBardon@aol.com KarlBardon@aol.com
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 00:48:56 EDT

Here are the results of my 12 August 2003 survey of shorebirds in Big Stone=20
Co. This is the largest number of individuals I have recorded on a single Bi=
g=20
Stone survey since I began these surveys in 1998. The majority of Stilt=20
Sandpipers (60%), Lesser Yellowlegs (70%), and Least Sandpipers (80%) are no=
w=20
juveniles, but relatively few Semipalmated Sandpipers are juveniles (10%), a=
nd today=20
was the first date I have seen any juvenile Pectoral Sandpipers. The best=20
sites are currently the junction of Hwy 28 and County Road 61 (northwest=20
quadrant), three potholes along the stretch of County Road 54 between County=
 Road 61=20
and County Road 7, a wetland along County Road 12 about 1.2 miles south of=20
County Road 10, and potholes on either side of County Road 10 about 0.7 mile=
s west=20
of County Road 12.

Semipalmated Plover 42
Killdeer    463