[mou] Field trip: Miesville Ravine 8/28

Steve Weston Steve Weston" <sweston2@comcast.net
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 02:29:46 -0500

I will be leading a field trip for MRVAC to Miesville Ravine in the southeast corner of Dakota County this Sunday at 8am.
This neat county park includes an excellant patch of big woods that attracts a good mix of birds.  Spotted jewelweed in a
wet meadow up the trail is a major attractant to hummingbirds.  A couple of years ago we had great looks at a probable
Black-chinned.  This time and location is one of the most reliable spots for finding both cuckoos.  The valley is also home
to Bobcats.  (Atlthough, you will need more than a normal portion of good luck to see one.)  The hike up the valley is
somewhat strenuous.  No reservations needed.

I will also be leading a "Hummingbird Walk" on Saturday at 7:30am at Miesville Ravine for Dakota County Parks.    For that
trip you will need reservations (which are limited).  Call  Dakota County Parks for more information on Saturday's walk:
651-438-4660.

Directions:  From Highway 52 (at Hampton) go east on Hwy 50 to the town of Miesville.  Turn right (south) on CR 91.  Stay
right at the fork.  When CR91 ends at 280th Street, turn left (east).  That road will, after a couple of miles, decend into
the valley.  At the bottom of the hill turn left into the parking lot.

Steve Weston on Quigley Lake in Eagan
sweston2@comcast.net