[mou] 2 more Clark's Grebes; Hybrid

Benjamin Fritchman fieldfare21@hotmail.com
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 23:54:55 -0500

Today I set out to see how many Clark's Grebes were actually on Lake Osakis.
I found 2 where I had seen them before on the Todd County side. Better
directions: Take the road to the lake across from where CR4 goes east from
27.

The lake was choppy but I explored more of the lake and eventually found 2
more Clark's Grebes in Douglas County. These birds were at the boat launch
in the town of Osakis. Take central Ave. down to the water. Along with the 4
I found a couple of days ago, there are at least 6! But this by no means is
from scrutinizing every bird.....alot of Westerns were too far out to tell,
so who knows how many are on this lake.
Also hanging with these latter 2 was an interesting bird. I'm almost
positive it was a hybrid. It had the whitish flanks, and bright yellow
bill....but when I saw it's face it had the dark cap above the eye like a
Clark's, but then more light black extended down to below the eye, showing
the pattern of a Western.....

That's it from Todd County for now,
Ben Fritchman
Long Prairie

Enter for your chance to IM with Bon Jovi, Seal, Bow Wow, or Mary J Blige
using MSN Messenger http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/imastar