[mou] Nighthawks

Karen Sussman ksussman@lcp2.net
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:13:16 -0500

There was a large migration of nighthawks tonight all along state
highway#53 (NE StLouis County) as I was driving home from Duluth.  They
were seen from 4 miles south of Cotton, Mn intermittently until
approximately 15 miles south of Cook, Mn when I turned  off the road.

The heaviest concentration of birds was 4 miles south of Cotton.  I pulled
off the road to watch.  They passed steadily from the northeast to the
southwest over the highway for more than 10 minutes.  I would estimate
there were more than 300 birds at that location.

The next heaviest concentration occurred at the intersection of hwy 53 and
hwy 169 in Virginia.

Time was 6:40pm until 7:40pm.
Karen Sussman  ksussman@lcp2.net