[mou] Connecticut Warbler, Hennepin Co.

Conny Brunell connyb@mycidco.com
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:45:14

This morning at Woodlake Nature Center, Leslie Marcus and I saw a Connecticut Warbler in the SE end of the park in a dence thicket.  We walked into a overgrown area following Catbirds in the branches, and when  we stopped we flushed a Connecticut Warbler, who perched out on a branch less than 10 feet away standing still.  We were taken by surprise to see the Connecticut sitting there, and saw the gray hood, and thick complete eye-ring, yellow all the way to the undertail coverts, and olive upper parts.  It felt like we were frozen in time, watching this bird so still, then it walked off the branch, and flew to the back of the thicket.  What a thrill...

It was a welcome sound to hear, and to see the Warbling, Red-eyed, and Yellow-throated Vireo's again in the park.  The Eastern Wood Pewee, and Great Crested Flycatcher were calling, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Indigo Bunting, Baltimore Orioles, House Wrens, all vocal this morning breaking the long silence of the last hot month.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Cty
connyb@mycidco.com