[mou] Little Blue Heron-Douglas Cnty/ Common Moorhen-Hamden Slough

JELLISBIRD@aol.com JELLISBIRD@aol.com
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:11:35 EDT

This afternoon about 4:30 I found a small white heron with blue/grey mottling
in a wetland in NW Douglas County. The legs were greenish grey. The bill was
light grey with a darker grey (almost black) tip. The eye pupil was black and
the iris was light grey or whitish. There was blue/grey mottling on the top of
the head, the cheeks, pronounced on the upper back and the trailing edge of
the wing which appeared almost black in some views. It was about 50-60% of the
size of a Great Egret which was there for comparison. The location is as
follows: go south on Douglas County 19 from Douglas County 82 (Just East of Pelican
Lake). This is the west edge of Douglas County. At a four way intersection
(with a large sign announcing Bah Lakes WPA in the SW quadrant) take a left on
Whisper Lane, a dead end going east. Go .4 mile to the wetland on the north
with lots of dead trees. The bird was along the north shore of this wetland. I
watched it for over an hour and it showed no signs of leaving.
    Common Moorhen-As of 8:30 or so on Friday evening July 18, at least one
of the Common Moorhens at the previously announced location in Hamden Slough
NWR was still there. After waiting over an hour, I noticed the bird preening in
the edge of the cattails on the E edge of the pond. After 15 minutes it flew
out a short way, then foraged out of sight to the north end of the pond.

John Ellis- St. Paul