[mou] Bluff hawks

Jeff Dankert renohawk@hbci.com
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 20:55:59 -0600

On Sunday, Carol Schumacher and I repeated last weekend's hawk watch
effort on a Mississippi River bluff top near Minneiska, MN. NW winds
slowed flight seen last week and diversity was reduced. We counted from
9:30 a.m. to noon.

Bald eagle, 53
Red-tailed hawk, 23
Turkey vulture, 4 (there were more in the area but many,
characteristically, 	flew in strange directions for northward
migration).
Sharp-shinned hawk, 2
Rough-legged hawk, 1
Tundra swan, 5,550, between 11:35 and 11:50 a.m.
Am. white pelican, 5 at noon.
A field sparrow was singing.
Fifteen wild turkeys crossed the road.
A northern flicker called loudly.
A northern harrier passed low, hunting.

At Latsch State Park, a ruffed grouse was drumming.

At Weaver Dunes/Bottoms near Kellogg, we heard sandhill cranes, saw one
fox sparrow, saw one eastern phoebe.

At Rileys Lake near the Winona airport, an osprey caught a fish and 10
tree swallows flew by. Just east of there, an adult great horned owl was
competing with its two head-bobbing young for space in an osprey nest on
a power line pole.

Peace,
Jeff Dankert
908 Parks Ave Apt 158