[mou] Swift Co. Burrowing Owl not seen Sat. evening

George B Skinner george.skinner@gte.net
Sun, 11 May 2003 10:13:34 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C317A5.FB011260

George Skinner and I traveled west from Hennepin County, looking for =
prairie=20
birds with the hope of seeing the burrowing owl.  We birded on the drive =

west, stopping at:

McLeod County -
Glencoe sewage lagoons - 13 Wilson's phalaropes
Schaefer Prairie - bobolinks, Sora, red-winged and yellow headed =
blackbirds
In a wet spot across the road we saw least sandpiper, solitary sandpiper =
and=20
a lesser yellowlegs

from McLeod Co. west we saw a few horned larks per county.

Renville County
near Granite Falls we saw wild turkey, redtailed hawks, turkey vultures, =

bluebirds

By the time we reached Swift County and the previously posted burrowing =
owl=20
location, it was 7 pm, very windy (30+ mph - the car was shaking) and it =
was=20
raining off and on.  We did not see the owl, who presumably was sensible =

enough to get inside out of the weather.

We did see a mystery bird - walking in the fields.  It was about the =
size of=20
an upland sandpiper with a bill the same length as the head, but the =
neck=20
was much shorter than the upland sandpipers we've seen before - and the =
bird=20
was mostly grey with a grey breast.  The eye seemed large, as we're used =
to=20
seeing on upland sandpipers.  Have any of you seen upland sandpipers =
walk=20
around constantly with their necks 'retracted/contracted'?  It could =
have=20
looked grey due to the low light conditions.

Anne Hanley and George Skinner
Hennepin County

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C317A5.FB011260

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3>George Skinner and I traveled west =
from Hennepin=20
County, looking for prairie <BR>birds with the hope of seeing the =
burrowing=20
owl.&nbsp; We birded on the drive <BR>west, stopping at:<BR><BR>McLeod =
County=20
-<BR>Glencoe sewage lagoons - 13 Wilson's phalaropes<BR>Schaefer Prairie =
-=20
bobolinks, Sora, red-winged and yellow headed blackbirds<BR>In a wet =
spot across=20
the road we saw least sandpiper, solitary sandpiper and <BR>a lesser=20
yellowlegs<BR><BR>from McLeod Co. west we saw a few horned larks per=20
county.<BR><BR>Renville County<BR>near Granite Falls we saw wild turkey, =

redtailed hawks, turkey vultures, <BR>bluebirds<BR><BR>By the time we =
reached=20
Swift County and the previously posted burrowing owl <BR>location, it =
was 7 pm,=20
very windy (30+ mph - the car was shaking) and it was <BR>raining off =
and=20
on.&nbsp; We did not see the owl, who presumably was sensible <BR>enough =
to get=20
inside out of the weather.<BR><BR>We did see a mystery bird - walking in =
the=20
fields.&nbsp; It was about the size of <BR>an upland sandpiper with a =
bill the=20
same length as the head, but the neck <BR>was much shorter than the =
upland=20
sandpipers we've seen before - and the bird <BR>was mostly grey with a =
grey=20
breast.&nbsp; The eye seemed large, as we're used to <BR>seeing on =
upland=20
sandpipers.&nbsp; Have any of you seen upland sandpipers walk <BR>around =

constantly with their necks 'retracted/contracted'?&nbsp; It could have=20
<BR>looked grey due to the low light conditions.<BR><BR>Anne Hanley and =
George=20
Skinner<BR>Hennepin County</FONT><BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C317A5.FB011260--