[mou] Long-tailed Duck Shakopee, Scott County

Chris Mansfield bikebirder75@yahoo.com
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 14:50:33 -0800 (PST)

MN Valley NWR, Wilkie Unit, Fisher Lake (telescope needed):

1-imm/female Long-tailed Duck associating with flock of about 200
Tundra Swans and 300 Canada geese and small numbers of other waterfowl,
11:30 AM to 1:00 PM today December 5.  One female Bufflehead and one
female Ruddy Duck also present and sometimes keeping company with the
Long-tailed Duck.  + mallards, a few Gadwall, 1 N. Shoveler, a few Wood
Ducks, two Am. Coot, Herring and a few Ring-billed gulls, etc.
Long-tailed kept close to the ice edges and was diving actively (the
open wings on diving were what caught my attention in the first place)
and it spent more time under water than above it while I watched.  It
was still present when I left at 1 PM.

Folks who regularly bird this area--do the swans stage here every year?
 Quite a sight!

Chris

=====
Chris Mansfield