[mou] Merlin and Redpolls, Richfield, Hennepin Co.

Chris Mansfield bikebirder75@yahoo.com
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:43:07 -0800 (PST)

I was walking from the bus stop at 2:55 PM today when a small falcon
flew in and perched in a tall tree in a yard next to me, 73rd St
between 1st Ave S and Stevens Ave in Richfield.  Didn't look right for
a kestrel.  When I got my binoculars on it I saw a columbarius/"Taiga"
Merlin.  A very nice surprise for me.  Maybe this is the same one that
was seen recently in the MN valley?  Was that a male or a female?  This
bird was not an adult female--its upperparts were dark slaty like the
immatures and adult males.  I didn't have long to study it; it sat in
the windy treetop for about 30 seconds before a crow flew by and the
Merlin tailed it out of sight to the north-east.

And on the south side of this same block, four Common Redpolls
chattered in a birch tree.  Nice birds for my walk home from the bus.

Chris

Chris Mansfield
Richfield, Hennepin Co.
bikebirder75@yahoo.com