[mou] Re: [mnbird] Woodpecker Evidence

Steve Weston Steve Weston" <sweston2@comcast.net
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 01:07:34 -0600

Today I got back to Schaar's Bluff to take another look at the trees that had had their bark scaled off by woodpecker.  I
found several more trees that had been debarked, some that were much larger and some that had not been as thoroughly
stripped.  It appeared that most of the larger trees were dead before the bark was stripped.  The smaller trees may have
been still living before their bark was scaled off.    the trees appear to be either Hophornbeam (Ironwood) or Elm, from the
bark and leaves.  I was unable to differentiate between the two species.  In all probability these were all elm trees that
were infested with the Dutch Bark Beetle, which is the vector for Dutch Elm Disease.  Kevin Smith, who is a forestor in
nearby Hastings, reported to me that Hastings has been hard hit by Dutch Elm which has been killing off young trees.  I am
also not aware of a bark beetle that is attaching the Ironwood.

Thanks to all the birders who gave me feedback on this question.  Below is a discussion on some of the responses.

Squirrel: Several people suggested this suspect.  Many of the trees showed marks from the bill of the woodpecker that had
attacked the tree.

Pileated WP:  Some of the branches that were stripped were quite small.  Also some of the trees were stripped right down to
the gound.  I've never seen the Pileated attack small branches or attack the tree from the gound.

Black-backed: My suspect (yah, dream on!) is not only extreamly rare in Minnesota, but also I have heard of no reports of it
attacking anything but conifers.

Hairy WP:  This seems to be the most likely suspect.  Here are some of the comments:

from Pmegeland (?) :  I have seen Hairy Woodpeckers do this type of work on young elm trees that died from Dutch Elm decease
in the western part of Minn along the Cottonwood and Yellow Medicine rivers.

from Denny & Barb Martin: We have noticed areas that Hairy Woodpeckers have done this in many different counties of
Minnesota.  Generally we hope for a black backed, etc but if we look around for awhile and return to the site enough times
we invariably find a Hairy Woodpecker doing the stripping.  We presume it has
to do with the food items available in that particular area.

I guess, I too now would expect it to be the Hairy  woodpecker.  Again thanks for all the suggestions, comments, and
observations.

Steve Weston on Quigley Lake in Eagan
sweston2@comcast.net