[mou] Long-Tailed in Washington Co.

Hagsela@aol.com Hagsela@aol.com
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:56:49 EST

Today I was able to relocate the Loong-tailed Duckthat's been seen recently
at Pt. Douglas Park.  I scanned the open water for over 40 minutes.  I finally
got on him as he was tucked up (he must have been diving for the 1st half hour
I was there).  I saw the back and body, which looked just like the picture of
the adult winter male in Sibley's (p. 97) - dark back covered by long silvery
feathers, and a white back of the neck and crown.  After about 5 minutes his
head came up and he stretched a wing for a nice look at the dark flight
feathers.  The area around his eye was dusky and I could see the dark patch which
stretched down from the auricular to the side of his neck.  I watched him swim
around for another 5 minutes before he dove.  He was slightly smaller than the
Common Goldeneyes around him.

To get to Pt. Douglas Park from the Cities, take Hwy 61/10 until Hwy 10
splits off toward Prescott.  (A left hand turn at a stoplight.)  You'll see the
sign for Pt. Douglas Park - the park is on your left as you approach the WI side.