[mou] crow predator behavior and birdbaths

ddeuschle@sehinc.com ddeuschle@sehinc.com
Mon, 3 May 2004 10:36:41 -0500

I have recently had the unpleasant experience of a crow using my bird bath
as a feeding station.  For several days in a row I have returned from work
to find my birdbath bloody and filled with various bird, small mammal, and
amphibian organs and body parts.  I confirmed over the weekend that it is a
very large crow (not a raven) and observed it bringing in a small rodent
and a very large American toad (bigger than the rodent).  The specimens
left behind are not roadkill or carrion, but are fresh kill.  The crow
mainly eats in the treetop, but uses the birdbath to subdue and divide the
prey from what it wants to eat, and what is left behind.  I have pictures
to prove it.

I have since moved the birdbath, but the crow keeps returning looking for
it.  I imagine it will move on eventually, but the sight of a crimson
birdbath is a little too traumatic on the little ones, so I doubt I will
use it anymore.

I am wondering if this is a behavior observed by anyone else, or do I have
a rogue crow in my neighborhood.  I am well aware of them consuming
roadkill and carrion, but I am not aware of them actively preying on live
animals, or using birdbaths in this way. The birdbath was in for 3 days
before it was used, and then it was used daily for 4 days before I took it
down.  Any insight or similar experiences are appreciated.

Thanks,

Deric Deuschle
Biologist, Natural Resources Group
SEH - St. Paul