[mou] Migration Update - West Central counties

EgretCMan@aol.com EgretCMan@aol.com
Tue, 4 May 2004 14:06:39 EDT

-------------------------------1083693999

5/3/04

After the trip I led to Carver park, some of the group headed out to check on
some recent sightings.  We were unable to relocate any of the Snow Egrets
previously reported from Hanson Lake in Meeker County or Thielke Lake in Big
Stone County.  But we did relocate one of the Greater White-fronted Geese at
Thielke Lake.  Water levels in Big Stone County are very low.  Offering many
locations for shorebirds.  We enjoyed large numbers of Lesser & Greater Yellowlegs
and Pectoral Sandpipers in Big Stone County.  Some of the best locations were
along Big Stone CR 61.  With the best spot on CR 61 1/2 mile south of CR 4. We
observed 30 Wilson's Phalarope's, 1 Long-billed Dowitcher and 100s of
Yellowlegs and Pectoral and Least Sandpipers.  Hanson Lake in Meeker County was also
very good, with American Pipit's, Lesser & Greater Yellowlegs and lots of
Blackbirds sitting on the road between the East and West side of the lake.  There
were also many ducks and lots of Bonaparte's Gulls and Forester's Terns there
to.  We also stopped by the Mayer Sewage Ponds and found a few shorebirds and
one American Pipit there to.  Here were some of the other species that we
encountered during the day.
Carver Park - 5:30 - 11:45am
New Germany - 1:30 - 2:30pm
Hanson Lake - 3:00 - 4:00pm
Big Stone County - 6:30 - 9:30pm

@ Greater White-fronted Goose - Big Stone County - South side of Thielke Lake
@ Eared Grebe - Big Stone County - South side of Thielke Lake
@ Western Grebe - Big Stone County - numerous on Thielke Lake, spent some
time searching but did not pick out any Clark's Grebes.
@ Swainson's Hawk - Big Stone County - Hyw 12 & CR 23
@ Sandhill Crane - Carver County - Carver Park Reserve - near Tamarack Bog
Trail
@ Marbled Godwit - Big Stone County - one bird was observed on the west side
of Thielke Lake
@ White-rumped Sandpiper - Carver County - two birds were observed at New
Germany from Yancy Avenue
@ Dunlin - Carver County - two birds were observed at New Germany from Yancy
Avenue
@ Long-billed Dowitcher - Big Stone County - CR 61, 1/2 mile S of CR 4.
@ Wilson's Phalarope - Big Stone County - CR 61, 1/2 mile S of CR 4.
@ American Pipit - Carver County - Mayer Sewage Ponds, Meeker County - Lake
Hanson
@ Sparrows - Clay-colored, Harris's & White-Crowned - Carver Park

-------------------------------1083693999

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>5/3/04</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>After the trip I led to Carver park, some of the group headed out to ch=
eck on some recent sightings.&nbsp;&nbsp;We were unable to relocate any of t=
he Snow Egrets previously reported from Hanson Lake in Meeker County or Thie=
lke Lake in Big Stone County.&nbsp; But we did relocate one of the Greater W=
hite-fronted Geese at Thielke Lake.&nbsp; Water levels in Big Stone County a=
re very low.&nbsp; Offering many locations for shorebirds.&nbsp; We enjoyed=20=
large numbers of Lesser &amp; Greater Yellowlegs and Pectoral Sandpipers in=20=
Big Stone County.&nbsp; Some of the best locations were along Big Stone CR 6=
1.&nbsp; With the best spot on CR 61&nbsp;1/2 mile south of CR 4. We observe=
d 30 Wilson's Phalarope's, 1 Long-billed Dowitcher and 100s of Yellowlegs an=
d Pectoral and Least Sandpipers.&nbsp;&nbsp;Hanson Lake in Meeker County was=
 also very good, with American Pipit's, Lesser &amp; Greater Yellowlegs and=20=
lots of Blackbirds sitting on the road between the East and West side of the=
 lake.&nbsp; There were also many ducks and lots of Bonaparte's Gulls and Fo=
rester's Terns there to.&nbsp; We also stopped by the Mayer Sewage Ponds and=
 found a few shorebirds and one American Pipit there to.&nbsp; Here were som=
e of the other species that we encountered during the&nbsp;day.</DIV>
<DIV>Carver Park - 5:30 - 11:45am</DIV>
<DIV>New Germany - 1:30 - 2:30pm</DIV>
<DIV>Hanson Lake - 3:00 - 4:00pm</DIV>
<DIV>Big Stone County - 6:30 - 9:30pm</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>@ Greater White-fronted Goose - Big Stone County - South side of Thielk=
e Lake</DIV>
<DIV>@ Eared Grebe - Big Stone County - South side of Thielke Lake</DIV>
<DIV>@ Western Grebe - Big Stone County - numerous on Thielke Lake, spent so=
me time searching but did not pick out any Clark's Grebes.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Swainson's Hawk - Big Stone County - Hyw 12 &amp; CR 23</DIV>
<DIV>@ Sandhill Crane - Carver County - Carver Park Reserve - near Tamarack=20=
Bog Trail</DIV>
<DIV>@ Marbled Godwit - Big Stone County - one bird was observed on the west=