[mou] Aggressive Cape May Warbler Behavior

Sharon Stiteler sharonks@mn.rr.com
Fri, 14 May 2004 22:37:16 -0500

I was at a friend's house last night watching her feeders.  She has a small
cherry tree with blossoms that is the holding area for for birds waiting to
get to feeders.

The tree was filled with a couple of male rose-breasted grosbeaks, a male
oriole, and a chickadee.  All of a sudden a small yellowish bird flew right
at one of the male grosbeaks.  Binoculars revealed a textbook male cape may
warbler.  The two birds fluttered against each other and went their separate
ways.  Within minutes a cape may male (presumably the same one) returned and
hopped to each flower to feed.  When the cape may caught sight of the
chickadee feeding about two feet away, it immediately flew over and attacked
the chickadee.  Both birds fluttered to the ground and for a moment the cape
may had the chickadee pinned on the ground and then the chickadee flew away.
The cape may continued to feed and was only distracted when a second male
cape may entered the cherry tree, and both birds chased each other around in
flight--at one point flying eight times around the cherry tree.

I had never witnessed such aggressive warbler behavior towards other bird
species when not on a nest.  My guess is that with the cold weather and lack
of insects, the food was at a premium and the warbler didn't want to share
the source (although chasing and fighting other species would seem
inefficient and waste energy).

The cape mays moved on, as I spent the night and didn't see or hear them in
the yard this morning.

I would be curious if anyone has witnessed any warbler altercations with
other species during migration.

--
Sharon Stiteler
Uptown, Minneapolis