[mou] St. Louis Co. WW Dove, Painted Bunting update

Jim Lind jslind@frontiernet.net
Fri, 14 May 2004 22:35:11 -0500

I looked for the Painted Bunting in Hoyt Lakes from about 3:00-4:00
pm and didn't have any luck.  I talked to the homeowner and he said
he hadn't seen it since yesterday (Thursday).

I then met Peder Svingen in Ely and we relocated the White-winged
Dove at 218 E. Harvey Street.  The best views were from the alley
behind the house.  We watched the bird from about 5:00 to 5:45 as it
sat in the tall ash tree above the feeders, probably trying to stay
warm (it was 38F and breezy).  The bird was kind of hard to spot in
the thick branches of the ash tree, but we eventually got some great
looks.

On the way home there was a Great Gray Owl on Highway 1, 1/2 mile
south of the Spruce Road.  A brief check of the Two Harbors golf
course ponds turned up a White-rumped Sandpiper.

Jim Lind
Two Harbors