[mou] Green Heron, 14 spp. of warblers at Indian Point

Laura Erickson lauraerickson@abac.com
Tue, 18 May 2004 11:15:39 -0500

This morning on Duluth Audubon's weekly May Warbler Walk at the Western
Waterfront Trail, we listed 56 species.  Our 14 warblers included several
Wilson's Warblers, an extremely cooperative Canada Warbler, and lots of
redstarts and Yellow Warblers.  One Northern Waterthrush sang, but didn't
come into view.  We had several long and satisfying looks at an
Orange-crowned Warbler, too.

One Green Heron called and flew over.  One of our participants located a
Virginia Rail in the large cattail stand near the entry late yesterday
afternoon, but we didn't see or hear it this morning.

Our lists from our weekly walks at Park Point and the Western Waterfront
Trail can be found on the Duluth Audubon website or at:

<http://www.lauraerickson.com/Birds/Bird%20Walks/Spring2004Species.html>

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression.  In both
instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly
unchanged.  And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of
change in the air--however slight--lest we become unwitting victims of the
darkness.

                                 --Justice William O. Douglas