[mou] Black-necked Stilt, Scott Co. et al.

Chad Heins odunamis@yahoo.com
Thu, 20 May 2004 18:16:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hey birders!

Today was a beautiful day to go chasing some of the
great birds that have been seen lately in the state.
My wife and I were able visit the sewage ponds in both
St. Peter and Belle Plaine.

We were at the Belle Plaine sewage ponds long enough
to watch the Black-necked Stilts feeding immediately
adjacent to the entrance near the willows.

St. Peter's sewage ponds were much more productive as
far as diversity.  We had great looks at Sanderling,
Least, Semipalmated, Stilt, White-rumped, and Spotted
Sandpipers.  We also had Dunlin, Wilson's Phalarope,
and Lesser Yellowlegs.

Seven-mile Creek in Nicollet County is still very
productive for warblers.  We spent a little time there
and were able to spy Blackpoll, Cerulean, redstart,
Mourning (several), Tennessee, Nashville,
Black-and-white, Yellow, Magnolia, and Ovenbird.

We started around 1pm and ended with 101 species for
the day, and accidental BIG day.

Happy birding!

Chad Heins
Mankato, MN